Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues

How will my life be impacted when husband starts a traveling

How will my life be impacted when husband starts a traveling job?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.
Hello dd,

How long have you been married?

What are your ages?

How long will he be away and home?

How is the relationship?

Have you talked about it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Chase - We are 18 years into it, with 2 kids. I think it is a strong relationship, but the issue is that we only recently bought our current home and did a lot of improvements on it, most of which we would not recover in a sale at this time. The kids are in school, and my ailing father also lives here in our town with no other family members but me to support him. My husband would take a job out of town with paid returns home 1x per month. I'm worried that this will be very stressful on us at home essentially. Thanks.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.
Hello Dd,

Of course it's going to be stressful on the relationship if only for the fact that your schedule will be completely changed and you wont have each others support on a daily basis like you do now. There's more room for misunderstandings and fears on both parts. Communication is going to be your greatest ally, and if the two of you have good communication now, then you can work on keeping that consistent and things should be ok. It's going to put a huge burden on you as far as the responsibilities at home, so you may start to feel a little resentment over time when he's out and about and you're dealing with the same mundane things at home. Be sure to take time for yourself, even if it's just a relaxing bath when the kids go to sleep or having someone watch the kids on the weekend while you take some time to yourself. I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more.