Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues
1042561

My husband and I have been married for 20 years. I have a

My husband and I have been married for 20 years. I have a 28 year old daughter who was 9 years old when we married and she lived with us until she graduated from college. My husband has two step daughters from a previous marriage. He was their step dad for 9 years. He has a "call once in a while - on special occasions - and send cards on special occasions" relationship with these two girls. Each step daughter lives thousands of miles from us. During the coarse of our marriage, my husband and I have become very well off financially and feel it is time to draw up a will. My surprise came when my husband wanted to split our estate equally 3 ways between his two step daughters and my daughter. I feel betrayed by this attitude, since he actually took part in raising my daughter for 18 years. Am I being selfish about sharing the wealth? I feel like the bulk of the estate should be left to my daughter. Please advise.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I personally do not feel that you are being selfish. These are not his real children while this is your real daughter. Something to consider might be to split things equally and your daughter gets half while the other two split half. In this way, he is leaving his half where he wants and you are leaving your half to your daughter. That might not be what you were thinking but it is more fair. The issue comes in when one person passes away, the other person has the ability to change the will or do what they wish to do with what remains, so do consider that it's unlikely that both of you will pass at the same time, so how will the other person be taken care of and what goes to who? I wish you luck, let me know if you want to talk more

Chase