KimberlyF
KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with JustAnswer.com
1572083

Ok this is kind of a date emergency....I was just about to

Customer Question

Ok this is kind of a date emergency....I was just about to go on a date with a hot guy and he calls me and tells me he forgot his wallet in his other pants at work. I didn't know what to say so I hung up quickly and told him I would call him back. Here's the thing....I believe the guy should always pay for the first date. My dad taught me that. I have money and I don't mind paying but here's a little history. We were supposed to go on a date a week ago but he didn't call and then the next day he told me that he fell asleep and woke up in the middle of the night. So I said ok and rescheduled for a week later. I made him wait a week because I wanted him to value our date and know that he cant just call me last minute or just cancel. So it was supposed to be at 7pm but he calls at 6:30 and says he's running late and then he calls at 7 with this story about his wallet. Maybe he thinks because he's so hot I will pay and be like "ok just come" I don't know what to do or tell him. Please help
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What are your ages?

-How long have you known him?

-Is he conceited?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is 22 years old and I am 21. I havent known him for very long. I've seen him around and we talked on the phone...this will be our first date. Girls are usually all on top of him and trying to get a date with him but he is pursuing me. I think he might be a little conceited but not in an arrogant way. I think he's just aware that he's good looking. He's waiting for me to call him back!! lol I dont know what to tell him.
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Don't change your ways for him just because he is handsome, you are a firm believer that the man should pay, then that is the way it should be though couples do switch paying for dinner these days, there are still those people that believe in old fashioned beliefs and he isn't making that great of a first impression the first time he never showed and the second time he lost his wallet I would take those as warning signs, I think he is trying to get a free dinner that is too much of a coincidence that the same night as his date he loses his wallet. I would take this as a loss and find someone that is honorable enough to not find excuses everytime you make plans to go out on a date. Tell him that you believe the guy should pay for the date and that he is compromising your beliefs and you don't feel comfortable with that.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to say that but not in cliche type of way....I want to say everything you just said but not in a way that sounds preachy or like Im upset. I want to say it in a way that says "its nothing personal..you didnt make a good first impression...call me when you find your wallet." I just dont know how to say it. I dont want to sound stuck up or preachy just honest....You know what i mean?
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 6 years ago.
Customer

What you could say is that it's okay the two of you can plan a date for another night so that you can get your wallet situation straightened out and tell him you understand and that it's cool and then let it go at that and tell him that you will call him to reschedule.

KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience: Relationship expert for almost three years with JustAnswer.com
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did it! lol You're advice was perfect I followed it like a script. I knew what I had to do it just helped to hear it from someone else. I told him we could reschedule and he tried to explain and I assured him that it was "cool, it happens" and that I understand and then I told him that I would call him to reschedule and he said "I dont like rescheduling" and I said "I know...(sympathetic tone) " then I said "I'll call you later..have a goodnight hun" and he said "umm okayyy I guess" and now Im done :) Thanks so so much!! I'm gonna go call my girls now and have a girls night out! I feel happy that I didnt compromise myself :)
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 6 years ago.
Customer/p>

You're quite welcome and if you ever need my help again, ask for me by name. Have a good girls night out!!!