Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues

why does my buddy cover his crotch when i talk with him

Customer Question

Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 5 years ago.
Can you explain your question a little more?

He always does this? standing or sitting?

Does he do it when others are talking to him?

What are your ages?

Chase
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Most of the time he does it.. YES.. and yes I have seen him do it around others as well. I am 32 he is 20

Thanks Chase
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 5 years ago.
Then it's not something that he does just around you, it could be a body tic...some people have them, they twirl their hair, pick their face, most times they don't even realize they are doing it. Some men have a habit of touching or cupping their crotch and if no one mentions it to them, they keep doing it until one day someone brings it to their attention. Especially if they are young, and no one has ever mentioned it to them.....in some young people it may be a way for people to perceive them as tough. You can say something to him the next time you see him do it...like "it's not going to fall off" and when he says 'what?' look down at his crotch. If you do it with humor and don't get serious about it, it's a good way to call attention to this annoying and somewhat nasty habit, before it bothers others as well.

I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more

Chase
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is kinda arrogant sometimes... so it could be the tough thing..
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 5 years ago.
The only other alternatives is to either ignore it or have a superior speak to them about it and let them know that it's making female employees/customers uncomfortable. If you work around food, all the more reason for someone to speak to him about it. Aside from mentioning it, having a superior mention it, ignoring it is the only other option. Let me know if you want to talk more

Chase
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But I was a little concerned that he is uncomfortable around me and covered his crotch as a protective method... I did catch him a few times looking at my crotch hence why I was a little confused. Not sure what the hell to think.. lol but I do think it is deeper than your explanation although it was a good one... The tough part hit the nail on the head for sure..
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 5 years ago.
hmmm.....I asked if he does it with everyone to see if it might have been something aimed specifically at you. Covering his crotch could be a protective measure, but since he does it around everyone, I would say that he may be immature and insecure and it's a safety measure for him.....something he may have gotten into the habit of doing and just never stopped.

If you caught him looking at your crotch....I'm not sure what to say here....if he's gay or attracted to you, then he may be covering a hard on, but again you're saying it's not aimed specifically at you. I wouldn't take it personal, yet....and the next time he looks at your crotch, look down at your crotch and ask him what's the matter...you can even wipe at it like you may have thought you had something there and that's why he was looking....this will let him know that you know he's looking and should make him stop....unless he's gay and attracted to you, then it might be more difficult. I wouldn't automatically assume he's gay, but keep an eye out for it, so you don't get caught off guard if he is.

Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience: Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks man
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.