Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues
1042561

my girlfriend was diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder)

Customer Question

my girlfriend was diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder) her mood swings are very rapid, sometimes from 1 hour to the next,one night she told me she may be falling in love and the next day she told me she's not sure and wants to be 'just'friends.She has said we must take 1 day at a time to see if her feelings get stronger and awhile later she will say we are just friends.1 day she will be very passionate to me and awhile later doesnt want me to kiss her??... i went on line and found out that ADD is associated with bipolar disorder. She is 56 and im 62...not kids can you help me, she doesnt take any meds for this although her brother in law is a pscholigist and told her what meds might help
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
Hello Radio,

The biggest problem is that when someone has a disorder, it can be difficult to know when it's the disorder or the person. When people have been through certain things in their life it can be difficult to know what has affected them or what hasn't and what experiences stay with them and what they are able to let go. She can't take meds for it, if she has not been diagnosed with it, so the first thing to do would be to talk her into getting checked out thoroughly and to find out for sure if she does in fact have bi-polar. Once you rule out bi polar then you know that you are dealing more with an emotional issue. I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more.

Chase
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i already know what you have told me, my question has to do with ADD associated with pipolar and does her symptoms appear tp be pipolar? she has been divorced 16 yrs ago and has had 2 relationships since the divorce that dident last 1 yr
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
What I'm saying is that these aren't symptoms, these are actions. Feeling one way one day and then another the next is not necessarily indicative of a disorder, some people are just like that. For anyone to make an excuse for her behavior and say it must be bi polar would be wrong. You can't guess about diseases, you have to check them out. If she does have bi polar, she will most likely need to be on medication, and/or therapy. The fact that she's only been in two relationships in the past 16 yrs says a lot about the problems she may have getting close to anyone, which is understandable if she had a bad marriage/divorce.

Chase
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dear chase,
she has told me she has been clinically diagnosed with ADD.. my research on line has told me that ADD is closely related to pi polar,i love her and can except her being bi polar, we can work that out and get her help, however my question now is that her behavior is so rapid and that is a symptom of pipolar, do you think that after making love with her and her telling me that that was the most intense and wonderful sex she has ever experienced and saying i love you then a while later she may say to me with tears in her eyes she's not in love with me and we will probably end up as friends??? if not bipolar what the heck would that be??
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
I honestly cannot tell you that this behavior is so radically different from people who have emotional problems due to past relationship issues. We have a psychologist that works with us in this category, if you want to speak to him, I can refer you to him. Let me know

Chase
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dear chase i would like to speak to a psychologist, thank you

charles
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you chase

charles
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you chase, waiting for jonathan