KimberlyF
KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with JustAnswer.com
1572083

One of my co-workers is going on vacation for a week and asked

One of my co-workers is going on vacation for a week and asked if she could use my laptop computer to do her online homework while she is on vacation. How do I go about turning her down so not to hurt her feelings. She's a very nice person and we are friends, BUT, I really do not want my computer going outside of my home. FYI - she does not own a laptop.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. By the way, it would help me to know:

-What are your ages?

-Are the two of you friends or just co-workers?

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting me with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that I can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

She is 48. I am 53.

We are both friends, but see eachother more at work.

She is taking online courses for her Bachelor's Degree and frequently does her home work here at work during her lunch hour. But because she does not have a laptop and going on vacation, she wanted to continue doing her home work by asking to take my laptop with her.

I am not comfortable lending out my computer to anyone, but I truly do not want to hurt her feelings and I want to remain her friend.

Customer

Explain to her that you do not lend your laptop out and tell her that she can rent a laptop for less than $30 a week. Be honest with her but also give her other avenues in which to do her homework. Tell her it's not that you do not trust her with your laptop but you are responsible if anything were to happen and you just would rather not allow anyone use of it unless it's in your home or while you are there with them but remember to tell her that she can rent a laptop from a rental place for the time she will be gone on vacation. If she is a true friend she will understand and not get mad because laptops aren't cheap. Give her other options when you tell her that you don't feel comfortable letting anyone use your laptop don't usually her as your example just say ANYONE this way she will know that it isn't just her use an example like "I wouldn't even allow my family to take it away on vacation without me being present with them."