How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Walter Your Own Question

Walter, Relationship Mentor
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Mentoring couples on relationship issue and self understanding. (JA's Relationship Mentor)
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can youforgive a child molester

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.


I would be more then happy to talk with you today, can you explain the situation more?

Were you molested by this person or someone you care about?

How are you related to the molester? (Family, friend, or partner)

How does this person make you feel?

Has this person been punished for his/her actions?

Any information that would be helpful?


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is my husband. He went to prison for 8 months in 1997. The child is my daughter, now 24. I am the one that had him convicted. I thought I could forgive but for the last 11 years I have truely despised him. I knew when I picked him up from being released. I stayed with him due to pressure from our families. He has changed without a doubt. He has never touched drugs since that time. He has been a good father. I cannot forgive him. You could make a poster of him as far as a good husband, Now.
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.


Forgiveness is not something that can be forced, it is something that comes naturally. The problem is while sometimes you can forgive someone for hurting yourself or even someone else it is very hard to forgive someone who has harmed your child.

How does your daughter feel about you living with him? This is something you need to consider as well, molestation is one of the more heinous crimes. A child should never be abused in such a way regardless of drug use. This is something your daughter must live with for the rest of her life.

Wither you can forgive him or not is debatable....I am not saying it can not be done. Though if after 11 years you still do not feel this it is not going to just pop up over night. There is also the concern that what if he does this again? If you have any young children around him at all then you are asking for trouble. Even if you feel he will never do it again, you still can not take a chance regardless.

Staying with him is not a decision your family can make for you. It is a decision you must make on your own. This is your life, and you are the one that must live with it. If you can not be happy then staying with him because your family is pressuring you is not healthy or fair to yourself or even to him.

I would like to say that forgiveness can be given, but you will never forget and that is the biggest problem. You will never see him in the same light you saw him before and deep down you may never be able to fully trust him. In the end without that trust your relationship will never move forward.

It sounds like you already know the real answer to your know how you feel and in the end that is not going to change overnight or maybe ever. The question is do you want to live the rest of your life with the man who wronged your child? And if you do, can you put this to the side enough that it does not interfere in your relationship. If the answer to that is no.......then you will never be able to get past what has happened.

You may want to sit down and give some real thought to your own life.......take the family's out of the situation and think about you and your feelings. Is this what you really want out of life? Are you content to know that it is unsafe to allow any children or grandchildren alone with him? If not then now is the time to decide what you want and what you need.

Never allow someone else to dictate to you about how you live your life. While he may be better and may have changed, that does not mean that you will ever love him in the same way again. The love between a women and a man is far different then any other kind of love.......and it is not something your family or his family can mend for you.


Walter, Relationship Mentor
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience: Mentoring couples on relationship issue and self understanding. (JA's Relationship Mentor)
Walter and 2 other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: I have four children the youngest being 15. All know everything about what happened. My daughter is the one that wanted to go back and live with him. He could always give them more than I could of if I had left him. My thought, always knowing it was wrong, is that I was the only one suffering. It now is affecting everything we do. He tries so hard and I know that I will never be able to forgive, let alone forget. I cannot be around him, I tell him how I feel. I haven't had sex with him in so long I can't remember. My biggest concern is changing my kids' life. I figure that these were my choices and I should have to live with them. Thats why now I'm considering all of this counseling to fix me. I know how stupid this is.
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Kate McCoy


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
< Last | Next >
  • Kate McCoy's Avatar

    Kate McCoy


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist


    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Ms Chase's Avatar

    Ms Chase

    Life Coach

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues
  • Alicia_MSW's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specializing in relationship/family counseling
  • Dr. Norman Brown's Avatar

    Dr. Norman Brown

    Marriage Therapist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Family Therapist & teacher 35+ yrs; PhD research in couples
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as a Psychologist and Marriage & Family Therapist.
  • Suzanne's Avatar


    Therapist, LCSW

    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency