Walter, Relationship Mentor
Experience:  Mentoring couples on relationship issue and self understanding. (JA's Relationship Mentor)

im trying to help a woman that i met on line to come ...

im trying to help a woman that i met on line to come to America, she keeps asking for money for passport, visa and air fare which I would gladly send to her, if i felt comforatable that she was just not trying to extort money from me. my question is how can i be sure that shes not trying to do this. i have her name, address, phone number and two email addresses. and on top of this i get anywhere from 3-6 emails from ghana women almost everyday. XXXXX XXXXX      [email protected]
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

I will tell you that this scam is very very common. More often then not it is not even a women on the other end of the computer. These scams often get worse, after you send the money they typically will claim they were held up by the government and need more money in order to come.

I know finding a relationship is not easy, but sadly to many people take advantage of good natured people looking for a good relationship. As for how can you know if it is for real.....the answer is you can not. Unless you know someone over there that can check on her and see if she is really who she says she is it is very difficult. Anytime someone wants you to pay for a trip to see you this is a red warning sign. She knew she did not have the money to come why would she start a relationship with someone so far away?

Here is some interesting reading on the situation: