KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with

I have a family staying with me that Ive known for ...

I have a family staying with me that I''ve known for over 12 years. I''ve always got on well with them but never spent so much time with them. I am single. The family are Italian. When the wife was out of the room on the second day, the husband came so close and squashed himself beside me on the smaller of my two sofas where I sat to get away from him (thinking he wouldn''t possibly consider sitting by me as it was too small). In an instant he looked like he was going to kiss me so I paniced, jumped up and said I''d something to do elsewhere in the house. It really took me by surprise - I have zero interest in this man and now can''t stand him for what he''s done. I''ve another week with this family, who, as I''ve seen, have an horrendous rapport with their 2 kids and really with their own selves. I''m ignoring what happened and staying well away from him although he is always trying to get me on my own, I won''t allow it. Any advice - I feel trapped in my own home.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Like you said it is your own house and you shouldn't feel like a prisoner in your own home, you need to start off telling the husband that you have no interest in him whatsoever and if his behavior continues you will have no choice but to tell his wife what he has been doing. If you cannot bear to have them there any longer I would suggest telling them that you are ready for them to leave. Why are they staying there? Do they not have a home of their own to go to? You have to take back the control and not let them walk all over you they are mistaken your kindness for weakness. If you are able to deal with them for one more week then do so but you really need to have a talk with the husband or his behavior will only get worse and you don't want to be all by yourself one day and him force himself on you then what would you do. Tell him if he does not stop they will have to go.

As far as the way they treat their children you cannot really do anything about that unless they are physically abusing them you may just have to grin and bear it until the day comes they are to leave. If I were you I would set ground rules for the rest of the time there if you do not they will take advantage of you and may possibly like the way they have it as your home and never leave and you really don't want that to happen especially the way the husband tries to force himself on you.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.