Kate McCoy
Kate McCoy, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

How do you deal with a family member who surrounds himself ...

Customer Question

How do you deal with a family member who surrounds himself with alot of aquaintences whom he declares friends even though he hasn''t always known them for a long time yet can;t seem to be straighforward with Family in order to sole problems
Category: Relationship
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

I would be happy to help you with your question. First, it would be helpful to me if you answered these questions so that I can better understand your situation:

Can you describe the situation in a little more detail?

What are your ages?

Is this your son that you are talking about?

What type of problems are you having with him?

What do you mean by "straight forward"?

Have you ever been in family therapy?

Does he have any close friends or just acquaintances?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The person in question is my husband who has been trying out some business projects in his home State The first was not a success because he wasn't really a very good business person, neither was his Cousin. The current bisiness is not going to do much better. Most of our savings which were intended for od age inependence as well as a legacy for our daughters has shrunk to practially nothing.

Now my husband has decided to stay in his home state saying he hates where we have been living
since we were 22 years old. He goes on and on about the people most of whom are not native to this part of the USA

I can not tolerate the extreme climate nor can our Hearing Disabled Daugher now living with me
which rules out moving to my husband's birthplace
that is rural requires alot of driving in order to shop. Not a good situation for Seniors.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did not finish.
I am trying to get my husband to talk about what finds so wonderful about his birthplace. Actually he has spent only four years in his place.

He used to return for School reunions as did many of his family membrs who have established a lfe in other States.

Yes, we have good friends in common as well as personal friendships Husband has always felt the need to speend alot of men rather tan Family. He is not Gay!
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Let me get this straight...Your husband is now living in another state pursuing a business project? You are living in another state with your two daughters? His business is likely going to fail and he is spending your life savings on it? Also, he spends more time with his "friends" than with his family? You want him to explain to you why he wants to live in this other state? How old are your daughters?

I just want to make sure I understand the situation before I provide you with an answer. Please let me know if there is anything else that I should know about your situation. Thanks! This will help me to better assist you.

Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Please respond to my info request above so that the question does not expire. I am looking forward to helping you with your question.

Thanks!