KimberlyF
KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with JustAnswer.com
1572083

Ive been in a relationship with a divorced man for over a ...

Ive been in a relationship with a divorced man for over a year...He didnt want the divorce. I have to hear all about the ex wife.."I dont know why she wanted to end it,,,we were happy, I thought....blah blah blah...He claims he hates his ex for what she did to him and the family, yet their oldest daughter graduated college and he offered to have the graduation party at his house and invited his wife and her family to come.Is this wrong? Where do I fit into the picture? He asked me to go, if I wanted to....What is your take on this? Should I just back off? Is it weird that he is including his wife and her family to the party?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 6 years ago.

Customer

It isn't weird at all if it was a party for their daughter's graduation party he probably felt obligated to do so it would have been wrong for him to have a party for their daughter taking such a huge step into the world graduating from College or High School is a big deal for any parent and he just wanted to include the ex wife, I wouldn't read too much into it and may I tell you if you love this man don't let something so little like invitation to their child's party get in between you because you are going to have to deal with the ex wife from time to time. Though he says he hates her he put that aside for his child and he should be commended for that alot of parents bicker for years and they don't realize that the child(ren) suffers. I would say put on your best face and enjoy your boyfriend.

She gave him up and you have him now, don't feel second best, XXXXX XXXXX still licking his wounds from her leaving abruptly and separating the family that takes time to get over. As far as the ex wife's family they are the child's relatives also. Try and be friendly or at least ignore her at the party don't spoil their daughter's party she deserves the party graduating from college is a bug deal and she probably worked hard. If you love this man then stick by him and give it some time. He may never stop talking about the ex especially if he says he hates her so just tell him that you don't want her to be every part of your relationship and that you know she will have to be part of his life because they have children together. He will love you for supporting him. If you have anything to add click reply.

KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience: Relationship expert for almost three years with JustAnswer.com