Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues

Is she jealous, if so why

Customer Question

My boyfriend's mom will not give me credit for being able to read. I known for 17 years. She admits her 18 year grandson knows how to read.he is not my kid. We both come from poverty background. Her family loves her regardless whether she is educated or not. Why is jealous, if I am correct. We are both from latin american countries.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Norma

Why do you need credit from her?

You have known what for 17 yrs?

Why do you think she is jealous?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She says there is nothing good about me. She wanted me to be a servant for son. Is she trying to degrade me?plus she made sarcastic remark, that I should cook without using a cookbook. I know her since 1991.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

People say things that sometimes they mean to be nasty, and sometimes they say things just based on how they feel about things, and can come across as nasty whether they meant it or not. What makes you think she wants you as a servant for her son? How often do you cook? Do you consider yourself a good cook?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She announce in front of her kids and grandchildren, that I should a servant. I cook mainly lunch. I sometimes use cookbook, because I cannot memorize every recipe. Her son does not care whether I use cookbook or not. The mom should not care whether I use cookbooks. She is old fashioned.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

I don't understand why she would say something like that, its very rude. WHat did you do when she said that?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i kept silent, since i did not know her well back then. she was mad because I do not cook and clean as much as she does. her kids knew that i was adopted and raised in US with american parents.these people been in the US since 1976. they should understand american living standards.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this old woman should not be jealous. i am not the only person that knows how to read. she has a daughter-in-law, and son-in-law that can read.if she is jealous, why? i cannot be blame for the lifestyle she decided to live.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

I don't think she is jealous that you can read, she may be more embarassed that she can't read. Has she asked you to cook and clean more? Do you feel like you cook and clean as much as you should? Many people look at cookbooks when they read, even if it's only to remember each thing that needs to go into the meal. There's nothing wrong with that and you shouldnt let that bother you. If thats what she believes then thats what she believes, and you just keep doing what you need to do so that you can make the meals you want to make.