Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues

why is she ashamed of carrying a cane

Customer Question

my boyfriend's mother is 78 years old. she has osteoporsis, high blood pressure. she does want to carry a cane for walking. i get a feeling she was to be younger, than she really is.she needs to walk with the cane, if that what it takes. i carry one once in a while, and i am 37. I should be more ashamed, than her. what is she trying to prove?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Norma,

A woman that is 78 years old has probably been through more that we can imagine. She's probably had to fight her whole life to prove that she is strong, and carrying a cane could be to her a sign of weakness. I'm sure by this point, she knows she isn't young, and will never be young again, but maybe carrying a cane may make her feel older than she is willing to feel right now. She may look on it as giving up or giving in to old age.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
she is strong. but is she willing to fall? because if she falls she could brake a bone, and end up in the hospital.better to be safe than sorry
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

You're right, but people are stubborn. Maybe if she had a nice cane, something wooden, or different she would feel better about carrying it. Eventually she will start using it, it's just going to take time. Tell her how good she looks with it, and maybe that might help. :)