Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues
1042561

MsChase OR any other expert who can give me general advice

Customer Question

I am 18 and will be 19 very soon this year; I live in a small town in Illinois. Anyways, now that you get a general idea, I have been working to save up a little money, and I already own my own car. I want to move to California or somewhere around there of that nature. I''m not sure about how to go about this -- meaning, I know how long it will take to drive there and gas and such, but I don''t know how to find a place, get a job, etcetera. and I don''t know anyone there to stay with until then. I only have one parent and he''s not willing to help me out -- in fact, he''s been pushing for me to get out the house anyway (my house isn''t your "typical" home). Thus, here is what I want: apartment, job, and be able to support myself, eventually being able to get to college. College dorm is out of the question because I have two cats and want to live on my own. Please help.

PLEASE MOVE THIS TO GENERAL CATEGORY!! THANKS.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.

Hello cocomojo,

Thank you for requesting me. Let me ask you a few questions

Are you going to drive to Cali?

What kind of work can you do?

About how much money do you think you will be able to save up?

Chase

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Ms. Chase and thank you for the fast reply.

Yes, I do plan to drive to Cali. I own my own car, and I've already gotten rid of my furniture and such (I just have a few boxes of "stuff" I guess you can say). I can do any kind of work that's available, and I do have my high school diploma. So far, I guess I have about $1,200 saved up, and I get about $1,000 each money (left over after bills for my car note, cell phone, etc). I really don't have much family and very few friends, so I really don't have anyone to talk to.

Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.

Hi cocomoko,

May I ask who referred you to me? Have I talked to you before?

I think the best course to take would be to look at some jobs online and see if you might be able to get some work before you move there. This isn't easy because you don't know the areas well, but it won't hurt to look in the general area that you're thinking of moving in. A very good resource is craigslist.org, you can look up the state, and then choose the city. People post rentals, as well as requests for roommates. This might be the best road, to look up what's available as far as roommates, or post that you're looking for a room, or look up rooms for rent. I prefer a room for rent because you never know what you're getting when you go for roommates, but you might find something good, you just have to look thru and see whats posted. Once you drive there, you'll know by the amount of money you have how long you have to get a job and start paying rent out of your pay instead of your savings. The good thing about Cali is there's always somewhere to get a job, you just have to be persistent. If you need to talk, I'm always here, so don't ever think you don't have someone you can talk to. I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more

Warmly

Chase

Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience: Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post:

Hello again,

No, I have never spoken to you before, but another customer from a long time ago recommended me to you. Thank you for being concerned, your information has helped out tremendously. I never thought of getting a room, but it does sound like a good idea... at least, much safer than with an unknown roommate (I've seen a lot of Judge Judy cases with roommates, haha) Wink I'm just concerned about starting out on my own, because without any skills or such, it might be really hard, and I know that if I want to make it, i'll have to try hard, but sometimes its just frustrating when I don't have the "resources", so to speak, that would help out, like family or friends in Cali.

Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.

Thank you and you're welcome. :) I understand, it can be a daunting experience, and there's no guarentee for anything. It's very late here, let me think on it and post back tomorrow, if thats ok with you. See if I can come up with some additional ideas.

Chase

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That would be nice, I must go to bed myself as I have a little cousin's birthday party to attend today as well. Good night and thanks again!
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
It's my pleasure. We'll be sure to talk tomorrow. Enjoy the party. Night.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.

Hello Cocomojo,

I thought about what you said, and you're right, it will be hard starting out in a new place with no friends and/or family to be there for you. I had roommates when I was your age, and it's not all bad, you just have to be very careful. Just like they will interview you, you should be interviewing them as well. I looked on craigslist.org in LA under rooms to share and saw a lot of great listings. There was even one for sober living, you would at least know that your roommates weren't into drugs, if that's important to you.

The best thing overall is to either try to set up job interviews before you get there, or save enough so that you can have enough money for at least 6 months rent if possible. Once you get a job, you'll meet people and learn your way around the city. By looking through craigslist ahead of time in the area of your choice, you'll get an idea of what the cost will be to rent a room or apt.

What are your thoughts?

Chase

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Ms Chase, sorry in taking so long in getting back to you. What are your thoughts on how much I should save up, because I have no idea on rent and bills and such?
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.