KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Experience:  Relationship expert for almost three years with

What is the best course of action to take when a new friend ...

What is the best course of action to take when a new friend turns out to be trouble and you find out they are very jealous, and are saying slander about you and your family, apart from the obvious to break the friendship? Im worried as I have two sons with Autism one of my sons said the word Sex to her daughter , I took him to the doctors as he is going through further testing to give him more help on sensory issues,speech,and developmental delays and they said after questioning him (if) he did say the word he is totally innocent as he has no clue what it means, now after numeros emails from her I feel im getting harrassed I have asked her twice to leave me and my family alone, I have made friends with another family she did the same too! but in that case she accused there 3yr old daughter of trying tio kill her children, she has sent me emails saying she wasnt accusing my son of anything but thats after the numerous hurtful emails she sent basically saying he must be being abused if he can say the word sex at age 6, he does have problems and will use inaproriate language at times but we do our best to correct him, my only comfort right now is that her neighbors dont speak with her, becasue of the wild parties she has, her parents are known alcoholics, and she has fallen out with all friends she has known, whihc is why my husband had a red flag up from the start, i was just glad to make a friend I didnt see the warning signs. She mentioned that if he had said the word at school social services would be called, others have told me thats not true and not to worry im a great mom with a beautiful family, my older children said they dont care any one can visit us and we have nothing to hide, but this is just all making me sick.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  KimberlyF replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

If I were you I would be glad that you no longer have this negative person as your friend and make friends that are true to you and understand that your son can not help what he says at times and if your friend took the time to get to know his condition and do research she would realize that she was really being unfair not only to you but to your son's condition he didn't ask to be born special God made him that way and you do the best you can and love your family unconditionally, just the fact that she has parties at her home should make people question her parenting skill and that alone shows you that she has no right to judge you or your family. That is not true about your son saying the word sex in school because I'm sure the school knows about his Autism and are equipped to understand the condition and what children can say even children without Autism say that word because it is so easily said on television, the school would work with your son to help him to understand that the word sex is a grown up word.

Don't be ashamed of loving your son unconditionally and remember the saying " One good friend is better than ten fake ones!" Just be more careful the friends you pick and make sure that they totally understand your sons condition. Do not correspond with this woman AT ALL she is nothing but negative energy and she needs to work on herself before she tries to be your counselor. Let her say what she wants the people that matter already know how she is in the neighborhood and if she continues to slander you and your family seek legal advice about your rights. She is going to dig her own grave just make sure you don't fall into it too which means stay far away from her.

Go on living your life as if you never meant her she will find herself alone and wishing she didn't lose a good friend. Being vindictive and vicious gets you no where but alone and miserable and misery loves company so don't be that company for her, you will be glad you cut all contact and sooner or later she will realize that what she is saying about you is falling on deaf ears and then she will not say anything anymore.

Thank you again for trusting me with your problem.