Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues

sexual harassment in my {owner} place of business

Customer Question

I have a question regarding sexual harassment. I'am a business owner and the man next to me owns a barber shop. well not just once but over a 1/2 dz times he has made a remark to me either about sex, me having needing to have sex with my Boyfriend because I was a bitch or that I have nice "Tits" {sorry} or that I have a nice butt and this has been in my place of business when I have been on the phone , and when my employee has been working at my grooming shop. Today is the first time I had said something about this, one time my mom was on the phone and asked me what he said. I was a bit embarrassed and I told my mom what he had said. I'm a 46 yr old lady and never liked this , but have never said anything to him I would just blow it off .. today I told him , and he said why did you never say anything to me I would have stopped.. Should I have said something to him? this has embarrassed me, and hurt my feelings etc. and I felt that I should not have to say anything am I right?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Nancy,

You are 100% right. There is absolutely no reason for a man you don't know to say such things to you. I do agree on one point that the very first time he said something inappropriate to you that you should have nipped it in the bud, and said something right then and there and maybe it wouldn't have gone any further. I am aware though, that some people are not built for confrontation, but take this as a lesson learned and in the future you know that things won't ever get that far again. If he says anything inappropriate to you again, let him know in no uncertain terms, that you will not have it and that its totally unacceptable. I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more.