Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues

My wife just started a part time job in a hospital. After ...

Customer Question

My wife just started a part time job in a hospital. After two days working in this certain department, she already feels that the staff is bullying her. They are talking behind her back, and was told directly that "nobody likes you here." What should she do? She would like to quit, but doesn''t want to give them the satisfaction that they won. What do you think?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Has she discussed it with her supervisor?

Who told her that directly? did she report it to anyone?

Why does she feel like this is happening? Did she have a run-in with someone?

What is her age?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post: Her supervisor told her this directly, during a discussion my wife had with her. My wife asked to speak with her in private to tell her that she felt uncomfortable because the supervisor and her staff were treating my wife unprofessionally and my wife felt not welcome because she was a new employee.

My wife thinks that the staff may be intimidated by her because of her extensive nursing experience. She is 51 years of age.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

It's a difficult situation sometimes because people can definitely become jealous or intimidated by another persons experience. If they are picking on her because of her age, thats against the law and they could get in trouble for it. I would tell her to try and keep a good attitude about things, 'kill them with kindness' as my mother would say, smile and let all of the nonsense run off her back. I don't know if she got the job to make friends, but if they don't want to be friends, then it's their loss. Tell her to hold out for a while longer and it may pass. It may just be because she's new. Do her job well, smile, treat her patients good, and ignore all the rest. If nothing changes in a few weeks, then she should talk to her supervisors, supervisor. She should also keep a journal on everything that has happened and does happen, including dates and times, in case she needs it.

I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your advise. I will tell my wife. Hope this works.

Thanks again.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

You are welcome sir, I hope it works as well. Feel free to post back if you want to talk more.