Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues

Why does a person answer a questin with a question

I asked my wife if she was having an affair with a certain person and she answered "do you want me to?"
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Mrtony,

What was your response?

Why do you think she is or why did you ask her that?

How long have you been married?

How old are the two of you?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post: 1. My response was "answer the question"
2. i asked her that because a while back she told me that this same guy was making remarks towards her to get her to talk to him. this guy is the brother of our neighbor. That was 3 year ago or so and it was never brought back up. until yesterday we where having a bbq with some relatives of my wife who came from out of town and my wifes uncle was waiting for his son to come by and visit. a blue car pulls up and my wife uncle says "here comes my son now", but my wife spoke up and said "thats not Junior" she must have caught herself because then she said "ive never seen that car before" this guy comes by to visit his brother often my wife doesnt work so shes home all day she can tell me about all our neighbors and their vehicles but all of a sudden shes nver seen this car before? i dont think that is even relavant for her to state that she has never seen that car before unless she feels she shouldnt have said that it was not junior
3. we have been married going on 7 years now.
4. im 38 she is 26
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Tony,

Many times when a person answers a question with a question it's out of guilt. However, it could be guilt of an affair or it could be that she thought it might upset you to know that she knew who's car it was considering what she told you three years ago.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, so you have to ask yourself, has she been deceptive to you in the past? Has she ever cheated on you? Has she ever lied to you? If she has, then it is likely she may do it again, but if she's been upfront and honest with you, then I would suggest giving her the benefit of the doubt, unless you have more proof. I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more