Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues

He has withdrawn all intimate contact after death of Uncle.

He has withdrawn all intimate contact after death of Uncle. Wants to be left alone. Wants no hugging or comfort. What do I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Kitty,

Who is he to you?

What are your ages?

Was he close to his uncle?

How long has it been?

Is he acting normal otherwise?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He is my ex husband,but have always remained close and intimate. We are both 52, and I was his words "his rock through this". He has traveled every weekend to see his Uncle for over 5 years. He passed 2 weeks ago. He is in a dark place. He has a virtual wall around him and he will visiblt stiffen if I get too near. He is bottled up and avoids talking it out. He is so lost right now and refuses to try to let anyone into his grief at all.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Sometimes it's difficult for people (especially men) to know how to express their grief. As long as you let him know that you are there for him anytime day or night then that's all he needs to know. Keep an eye on him if he seems to be acting erratic, or like he might do something to hurt himself, but in the meantime, be there for him but maintain a distance. If he doesn't want to be touched right now, give him that space until he's ready to be back in the world so to speak. He has looked upon you as his rock, so don't take his actions personal, it's just his was of trying to deal with his grief.

I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more