NurseTerria
NurseTerria,

how have you delat with an ethical dilemma in you workplace ...

how have you delat with an ethical dilemma in you workplace that compromised your personal values?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.

Hello Rich,

I've dealt with a few different ethical issues in my time, you can let me know if you have specific questions

I worked with company that would take donated items and sell them. The donated items were supposed to be given away as gifts to needy children. I spoke to the director and let him know that if we couldn't get the items to where they were meant to go then I would have no choice but to contact some of the donating agencies.

I worked with a group of people who were robbing a business blind, their thoughts were that the company had insurance and would be able to recoup any type of loss. I wasn't comfortable being put in a position of having someone lose their job because of me, but what I eventually did was leave and go to another company, and told the boss he needed to consider security cameras

Let me know if this is what you're looking for

Chase

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need a specific situation from some one in the healthcare field preferably an RN, I am sorry that I was not more precise, thank you for your time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post: I really need a specific incident from someone, preferably an RN relating to an ethical dilema. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.

I will switch this to health and opt out, in the future, please be as specific as possible as to what you're looking for so as not to waste your time or ours. Thanks. Please stand by.

Chase

Expert:  NurseTerria replied 6 years ago.

I have many of these situations. When you work in ICU it is common to make these decisions on a daily basis.

I once had a patient that had a severe gastrointestinal bleed. He was elderly and had terminal cancer as well. His wife was very eccentric and wanted to keep giving him blood transfusions, but would not sign a consent for us to correct the cause of the bleed. Due this I had to come in to work every day and stare this man in the face (he couldn't communicate) and hang bag after bag of blood while he suffered miserably. To me, this was just wrong. However, his wife was mentally competent and was the decision maker. To make bad matters worse the physician on the case told me to "slow code" the patient if he was to arrest. I do not "slow code" anyone regardless of the situation. The doctor refused to order more blood if the wife wouldn't consent to surgery b/c it was using tons of blood and the problem wouldn't correct itself. Because of this the man's blood pressure was dropping and he was going to code. The doctor told me not to hang any boluses or go up on my drips (i.e. let him die). Even though I was of the same opinion as the doctor I could not basically kill my patient and then act like I couldn't save him. I went to my manager and got new orders. The patient eventually died anyway, but it wasn't b/c of me.

NurseTerria,
Experience: