Theresa
Theresa, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD. Clinical Psychology
1277353

I recently visited my daughter at college who is a freshman ...

Customer Question

I recently visited my daughter at college who is a freshman this year. She is in a long distance relationship with a guy from her high school (she did not date him in High School though). He is away from home at a different college. They are committed to eachother and he has flown in to see her several times since school has started. During our visit she told me that when he leaves she gets physically sick and throws up, every time. I asked her if she was pregnant and she informed me that she is still a virgin and he is not pressuring her in any way to have sex. She had a couple boyfriends during high school but nothing serious. She always said she didnt like to be tied down but liked the "idea" of having a boyfriend. She does not have an eating disorder. In fact, she has gained weight since shes been at school. Why would she be throwing up after he leaves? Let me know....
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

This is not as unusual as it may seem to be. Some individuals become so excited or sad that they have adrenaline surges that are known to cause an upset stomach or vomiting. Perhaps this is how young love was labeled "love sick".

If this happens every time he comes to visit and when it is time for him to leave, this is your answer. Her body is literally experiencing a "rush" of adrenaline and this is causing the reaction.

If it subsides within a day of his leaving I would not be concerned. You could let her know that she is allergic to him and the next time he begins to leave she should take a Benadryl. Believe it or not they act as an inhibitor to the adrenaline This is similar to one that gets motion sickness.

Love can make you sick and so close to Valentines day!

Have a good one bye the way!

Let me know if I can help you with this further.

Terri

If this information has been helpful to you then please do ACCEPT by clicking on the green button on your screen for this is how we are compensated for our work. Positive feedback is always appreciated too!

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, you may request my help by typing:

ATTN: Terri60 before typing your question on the header or subject line and submitting it!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It doesnt happen before he gets there...only the day that he leaves...after hes gone.