Ms Chase
Ms Chase, Life Coach
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues

My boyfriend is a farmer, and I am not. Im somewhat ...

My boyfriend is a farmer, and I am not. I''m somewhat organized, and scheduled, he''s not. cleanliness, hygiene, and a neat appearance are important to me. It only seems to matter to him when he knows we''re going to see each other. A well kept home is important to me. He feels a home should look ''lived'' in. He tidies his up when he knows he''s going to see me. We have been discussing the possibility of living together when our children are grown. Could this relationship possibly work?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Lady,

Any relationship can work with enough love, compassion and compromise. If you love him and he loves you, then you should be able to talk about your concerns and find a middle ground. If you cannot compromise, there's always couples therapy, but I will say it can be very difficult to break old habits and if a person has been raised a certain way and finds nothing wrong with their habits. If he only cleans up when you're coming around, what happens when you're married and the need to impress is no longer there? There's no doubt that you will have issues and will end up picking up the lions share of the housework if you're not careful. It's said that opposites attract but sometimes they repel, it's best to try and talk out your feelings way before you make the decision to move in. Maybe when you're together longer, he'll give you the key to his house and you can do unexpected drop in's and get an opportunity on just how bad it is or isn't.

I welcome your thoughts, let me know if you want to talk more