TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

mother in law is affecting my emotional health can you advis

Customer Question

I have looked at various sites to do with family issues and emotional problems and have decided I should probably see my GP.The trouble is I am not sure if he would have answers as there is no medicine to help me deal with my vitriolic mother in law. It is a very long story which came to a head when I opened the 3 parcels she gave me for Christmas.Gift1. book called Housewives on top (basically a story about a woman who has so much money she doesnt have to work)!!! I am a busy housewife who supports my husband in business, I have just finished working full time in his office over and above everything else I do Gift2.A book about a murder with a picture of a blood stain on the front.(She knows I enjoy reading, she also knows I would be horrified opening this) Gift 3. A long box with a pair of pink marigold rubber gloves with a fake diamond toy ring on one fingers Suffice to say I felt traumatised,still do We want to cut ties,last resort. She has admitted she is jelous of me!Please can you help
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hello Jana,

How long have you been married?

How old are the two of you?

How long has this going on with his mother?

What does he say/think about it?

Chase

Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hi Jana,

Did you get my questions?

Chase

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My husband and I have been married happily for over 20 years. We have 2 children at university now. I am in my 40s now. This has been going on all my married life,the latest incident has been the worst. It has mainly been indifference and hurtfull comments. She has at times been quite nice and in good moods but still takes her chances with the comments etc when she can. My husband has always wanted to confront her , he did this years ago and it worked for a while then she eventually returned to her old ways. I have always been the one who has said, do not say anything as I like to keep the peice, also her remarks etc have always been so clever that it has been difficult to confront her at the time and it is later you think oh! that was horible. She does exactly the same to my sister in law only I get much worse with the latest incident feeling like the straw that broke the camels back. My sister in law and I had a long chat last night, she is a teacher and she agrees the only way forward is if mother in law admits her cruelty and bullying ways,apologises profusely and gives a big explanation raegarding her behaviour eg talks about personal issues from the past which have caused her so much pain that she takes it out on others and cannot help herself but will work very hard to stop it and gat help if necessary! The other option is for my husband and I to cut all ties with her. This is not my preferred option but my only choice if this doesnt change as I basically cannot take it any more!!
jana
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 8 years ago.

Hi Jana,

Let me ask you a question. I know that you opened a duplicate question and that you spoke to Terri. Do you still want to talk with me or would you like to close this question?

Chase