How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Coleen Hoffmeister Your Own Question

Coleen Hoffmeister
Coleen Hoffmeister, Mother, Grandmother, Wife
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 34
Experience:  Experience, been there
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Coleen Hoffmeister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Getting my boyfriend to move out

Customer Question

How do get my boyfriend to move out? He refuses to do so when I ask. I have been living in my house for 13 years (a rental) and he moved in 4 and a half years ago. Do I have any legal ground to stand on because I've been renting here longer? Can I get a restraining order or get the local police to help?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Coleen Hoffmeister replied 11 years ago.
It depends on who is on the rental agreement. If you a solely on the rental agreement, he has to move out.

In order to get a restraining order, you have to show you are in fear of him, that he has threatened you, etc.

You need to check with your police department, a lot of them will not get involved because it is a domestic matter.

Is your rental property an apartment or a house? You may have to seek legal assistance through the courts in getting him "evicted."
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Coleen Hoffmeister's Post: My name has been on the rental agreement up until about a year and a half ago when we put both of our names on it. Now what? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Expert:  Coleen Hoffmeister replied 11 years ago.
Now it's a little bit trickier. You both have equal rights to the rental. You didn't tell me whether it was an apartment or a house. If it is a rental property, such as an apartment complex, do you have a relationship with the rental agency? If it's a single house unit, do you have a good relationship with the owner?

Who pays the rent? Do you or is he paying for most of it. If you pay most of the rent, you will need to get your receipts together and be able to prove it. This, as well as the electric, etc.

If you have a relationship with the owner, talk to them and see what they suggest since you have been renting from them longer.

You will get better results if you talk to him and tell him it's over and one of you has to move out. You can tell him the courts will favor you because you have lived there longer than he has and that you are willing to take legal steps to get him to move out. If this doesn't work, you will need to back it up and will probably have to either go to an attorney or it may be possible to file it in small claims court, but I doubt that this will work. This situation is just as it would be if you were in a divorce situation, both sides have rights.

If the relationship is abusive, then you can get a restraining order. Just because he is not wanted there, you cannot do much right now because his name is XXXXX XXXXX rental agreement.

If you can't work it out verbally, then you reallly will have to go talk to an attorney.

The only other option is to start working on getting yourself out of there, save the bucks, make the move and just leave it all behind.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Kate McCoy

    Kate McCoy


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
< Last | Next >
  • Kate McCoy's Avatar

    Kate McCoy


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist


    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Ms Chase's Avatar

    Ms Chase

    Life Coach

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues
  • Alicia_MSW's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specializing in relationship/family counseling
  • Dr. Norman Brown's Avatar

    Dr. Norman Brown

    Marriage Therapist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Family Therapist & teacher 35+ yrs; PhD research in couples
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as a Psychologist and Marriage & Family Therapist.
  • Suzanne's Avatar


    Therapist, LCSW

    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency

Related Relationship Questions