Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Blu Ray Model#BDP5301, I can get the initial page

Customer Question

I have a Blu Ray Model#BDP5301, I can get the initial page up but can not get the disc to play.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Model#BDP 5301. I am not sure of the age but I would guess 3 to 4 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried plugging and unplugging, checked all cable wires and etc. Like I say I can get the initial first frame of the disc but can not get the disc to play.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess not. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Am I waiting on someone to call me?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

- Have you tried to update Bluray player firmware?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I don't know how to do that!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is firmware?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

OK, please go to following Sony link to get details about how to update player firmware..

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=BDPS301&upd_id=7474&os_group_id=28

A firmware is internal software of device that controls all the function of it.

You would need to download the file from above link in computer then make/ burn a CD in computer as per Sony instructions (this is sensitive matter) then put that CD in bluray player to start updating firmware.

By the way, a new bluray player is also available in cheap price now a days that would have lots more features then this 7-8 years old player. I would suggest a new replacement bluray player. I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get credit of my work on website.
Thank you.