Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

I recently purchased a videotape-to-DVD converter

Customer Question

I recently purchased a videotape-to-DVD converter (DVR620KU). I have just started putting it together. In reading the quick guide, it says to hook up the cables to an "external tuner." I am not very familiar with electronic stuff but does this mean another dvd player, my cablevision box, the TV itself, or something else entirely.
JA: What kind of computer do you have? Do you know what Operating System (OS) you're running?
Customer: I have an IMAC that uses OS X El Capitan. My converter is not hooked up to a computer. What does this have to do with it?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: There is nothing wrong with my computer. My question is about a videotape-toDvd converter.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No but thank you for getting to the right expert.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

NO tuner is necessary, if you are just dubbing from tape to dvd, it is a self contained function.

What it is referring to is that the toshiba has no built in tuner of its own, so you couldn't just connect it to an antenna and record live shows for example.

To record tv shows would require an external tuner, meaning a cable box for example or a satellite box. If you don't need to record those things, then you don't have to worry about any connections other than an audio/video OUT to the tv, which can take the form of the red/white/yellow cords for example.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.