electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Experience:  Worked on these instruments for over 15 years.
25158178

I also have 30 yr old beogram 5500 cd player and tray no

Customer Question

I also have 30 yr old beogram 5500 cd player and tray no longer opens. When I press open it makes a screeching sound for a few seconds then stops, but the tray doesn't move out. I've tried to help it out with my fingernails but won't open. Should I replace all the belts or are there only certain one that causes problem? The CD player was not used that much over the years. Where would I get purchase the belt assuming that is the problem. Thanks for any advice
JA: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It the 5500 model it was mid-1980's version.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I haven't used it for several years. Was in house when bought house 1999. Worked fine for 10 or so years. When it happened, a cd was playing and when it ended, I pressed the left side to eject tray and it wouldn't pop out. I was about to get tray to come out by pushing down on upper lip of tray and it came out. Used that method several times, but now it is stuck.
JA: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know how to open the unit to check - would like to know that too if possible.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 16 days ago.

Hi welcome to just answer

Are you able to find the bad belt?

If you can open the top cover and find the belt, then I can send you links to where you can order the belt.

Here is how to measure the belt

http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/beltmeas.htm

Here is the site where they sell belts

http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The last part of my question - how do I open the cover to this Cd unit. I want to do it the right way so no damage. Do you know steps how?

Look on few areas, it looks like you have to flip the system and take screws off and pry the system apart slowly.