Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I turn my roku and TV on and everything works fine, but

Customer Question

Hello...I turn my roku and TV on and everything works fine, but within a few minutes, the picture freezes and I have to press the home button on the roku to go back to TWC selection, press it and then it works fine, and then within minutes the picture freezes again. TWC works fine on my other TVs and does not freeze. Help????
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a flat screen Magnovox approximately 9 years old. We are trying to find the model number, but so far, no luck
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: About 2 weeks. I only watch this TV in the morning and it worked fine for the past 8 months since we started to pair it with Roku, and as far as I know, nothing happened
JA: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

What is the model of the magnavox?

Is it the actual roku that is freezing (on apps like netflix) or is it twc cable channels?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Cabt find model number. I only watch TWC on thus TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

The model number is ***** on the back of the tv.

By TWC, do you mean a time warner cable BOX connected to the tv? That is not the same as a roku, can you please explain your roku references?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We are looking for the model number. I am using a Roku 3 to watch TWC. Model is 32MD251D/37
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Did you receive my last message
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

so you mean the TWC app on the roku?

Do you ever use any other apps on the roku, like netflix, hulu, etc?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No, only TWC app. No other app
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

I need you to at least try to test another app, so that we can properly diagnose this issue, please.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hiw do we do this if we are not signed up for another app????
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

There are many free apps available that require no subscription or membership,

you may have to create a sign in, but it won't cost anything

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Which ones????
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Hulu and youtube are both free and you likely have those apps installed already.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I thought I had already agreed to pay $5 and then another $21 after we finish talking, which is $26. I this an additional $26 to talk to you or is the covered under the original $26??
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Yes, that is the amount you paid already and covers the chat only.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session, this is optional and may be ignored if you wish, but if you want it, that is an additional fee.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Lets continue chatting
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

That is fine. I need you to test another app, please.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We are trying to do this.
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Okay, just let me know how that works when you have a chance (if it freezes, or if it works)

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This TV is now turned on. Which app is free
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Hulu basic is free, youtube is free

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
we ae doing this now
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

ok

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We loaded abc app.
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Okay, now you may have to watch it for awhile to get a feel for the performance to see if the same problem happens.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This has been frustrating, and has led to nowhere since ABC wants more info and even if we give it the info, we still have to watch it for awhile, so at this point, our problem is not solved, and will not be solved unless we spend a lot more time with this. Since you offer a 100% guarantee, we would like our money refunded. This has not been helpful.
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

This is a process, there are steps required, I can't help until you go through those with me.

Please understand I'm spending my time here as well. We're all independent techs here on our own personal time, you have not paid me anything, just the site. We have not even been able to reach any steps to take for a resolution as I need more information from you first.

You may cancel through the help page if you wish. This leaves me with no credit for my time and work, and leaves you with still no solution.

If you wish to continue on, please complete the requested steps, and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am sorry that this is the agreement you have with the site. It is unfair to you as you did put your time in. I understand that this is a process, but one that does not work for me unless I pay more money to purchase apps that I do not want, so there is no way this can work for me at this time.
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

There is no cost to you at all, there are many free apps, I recommended a few, and there are literally hundreds more that have no cost whatsoever.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
You recommended HULU and UTUBe. We have the option of HULu, but they wanted money. We did not see UTUBE. I do not use Apps, and I am out of my league in this area. So what may be easy for you, is not so easy for us.
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Hulu PLUS is not free, basic hulu is. Youtube is free too.

There are many app screens on the roku home page, and most of them are free other than having to perhaps put in an email address.

If you absolutely can't test another app, we can move on to some other steps, but that could turn out to be a significant waste of time if it is a service issue with TWC which is a distinct possibility.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

At the very least, please try to just reboot the roku by unplugging power to it for a minute, then replug, and try your twc app again.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How do I get to the site for my refund?
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

You can do that from the help page. I cannot help with account matters beyond this, and as I'm sure you'll understand I cannot spend any more time on this matter if I'm not to be credited for my work.

If you wish to continue, I'm happy to help. I'd appreciate if you'd at least try the reset process that only takes a minute.