Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a JVC DR-MV100B DVD video recorder which will no

Customer Question

I have a JVC DR-MV100B DVD video recorder which will no longer get to the ready state. The DVD and VCR work fine mechanically. It seems to be a software bug. When turned on, the display shows "Hello" and normally after about 15 seconds would proceed to where I can control the functions. Now it stays at "Hello" for about a minute and then shuts down. Any thoughts?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Hi Jim and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you tried unplugging for an extended period of time? ...and then plugging back in but into a different outlet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No, not a different outlet. Not sure why this would matter.

Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

It actually would serve as a test; if the first outlet is stable/good and the act of transferring location to plug into a different oulet might "jar" the JVC back into action.

Offhand, I really am suspecting an internal hardware issue and the above are the only easy user doable tries.

Not unless you are considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Will try a different outlet. Yes I have a multi-meter and a soldering iron.

Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Great on the DIY!

And would look forward to an update when able.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Tried two different outlets in two rooms. Same result.

Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

I understand and this would confirm the internal hardware issue.

With the unit unplugged, open to expose the inside circuitry.

Please post back with clear pictures of the circuit board. of particular interest would be where the AC power cord is connected to.

Click HERE.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

And another for the whole board please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Thanks again.

Please check the capacitors of the power supply board. Visually, for any blistering or swollen top and electrically, for the output voltages. Though not clearly shown, there would be a connector from this power supply board that would be feeding the other/main board.