Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Panasonic VHS player NV-F70 belonging to an elderly

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic VHS player NV-F70 belonging to an elderly friend (91, former opera star in youth) who has a collection of cassettes of recordings of opera performances, many rare made with camera at local company productions over 30 years and wants to be able to view them. But when we got out and connected her deck and put in any VHS cassette, it is taken in and then after a pause of 5 seconds or so ejected always. I have taken off the cover and examined it, and watched it doing this numerous times. No perceptible defect in the mechanism, or blockages as suggested on forum items about ejection. I have tried tapes that work fine in other decks. Can you help?
JA: What's the exact make and model of the camera? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is not a camera! As I said, it is a Panasonic VHS player NV-F70HQ and it ejects all VHS cassettes, Here I have tried a number of Maxell E-240M and MGM E-180 cassettes. It takes the cassette in, lowers it onto the capstans (?), pauses a few seconds, then lifts it off again and ejects it. I have tried pressing the eject button on the lowered flap that covers the insertion slot in case the button had a short circuit. No sign of that. Mechanism seems clean, unclogged.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The deck has been put away unused for a number of years. As far as the owner knows it worked fine before that. She moved from a house she had been in 50 years to an elderly person's apartment about 5 years ago and yesterday we tried to use this deck for the first time since she was in the house years ago.
JA: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The cassettes I have tried in the deck that ejects them work fine in my own VHS decks which include a Sharp and a Sony.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Shahid replied 24 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 24 days ago.

- Is there any error code show up on VCR front display when it ejects the tape?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No! It just has the tape position (time) count 0:00 flashing all the time from when it is powered on and "on" button pressed.
Expert:  Shahid replied 24 days ago.

OK, do the guides take the tape around the video head/ drum assembly that spins fast then take the tape back and eject the cassette?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No. The head/ drum starts to spin for a couple of seconds but the tape is never taken anywhere, and is never near it. The tape is just where it is in the cassette when the cassette is removed from the deck.
Expert:  Shahid replied 24 days ago.

Thanks for the info. There are two possible causes for this trouble, either drum/ head spins so fast (not synced with required speed) due to internal issue OR the tape thread mechanism doesn't go forward to wind the tape around the drum and it happens due to worn out/ broken loading gear, I'm sorry about these info.

It needs to take out the tape mechanism from VCR and put it back to refresh the connections of drum and capstan assembly with main board that might help to fix the problem. If it doesn't work then I'm afraid it would be VCR mechanism problem and it needs qualified technician to replace bad/ broken part of mechanism if the required part is still available with local Panasonic Parts but this repair may cost you good money and in my opinion you would be better off with a new/ working VCR instead of spending money and time on this VCR repair. I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
OK. Thank you.
Expert:  Shahid replied 24 days ago.

You're welcome, I wish I had better news about VCR problem. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 24 days ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this question?
Thanks.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No, thank you.
Expert:  Shahid replied 22 days ago.

You're welcome. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.