electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Experience:  Worked on these instruments for over 15 years.
25158178

Our Roku suddenly started rolling around the screen. We

Customer Question

Our Roku suddenly started rolling around the screen. We could not get our usual programs.
JA: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It is many years old. The make is Roku. I did not see a model no.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been an issue for two days. I selected it as usual and it started rolling around, but it didn't stop. It is still rolling whenever I select the device form my controller.
JA: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My Samsung TV and DirectV are working O.K.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. The Roku letters roll around the screen when the remote has become "un-paired" from the device, or when the box needs to be reset.

I'm not sure if you have a Roku "Stick" inserted directly into the TV, or a Roku "Box" that connects using a Cable. Can you tell me that please?

Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

If you have a Roku "Box" then perform these steps:

1) Shut the TV off.

2) Unplug the power cord from the Roku for 10 seconds and plug it back in.

3) Locate the tiny "Reset" button on the upper right REAR of the Roku, and press and hold that with the tip of a pen for 8 full seconds and release.

4) Turn the TV on and then the green light on the Roku remote should start to blink. If it does NOT blink, then REPLACE the remote batteries with fresh ones and start over from step 1.

Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
There was no reset button on the upper rear of the Roku. Can you be more specific? Could it be somewhere else. There is a hole that looks like it could be for hearing device. There are two holes underneath the bottom. Any suggestions/
Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

I can be more specific if you can tell me which of the 5 model Rokus you have?

Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

I'm not available by phone. There's the Roku 1, Roku 2, Roku 3, Roku LS or Roku stick. Any ideas which one you have?

Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

Can you postback with a photo of it?

Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
It is Roku 3.
I just realized what you were talking about before. I may be able to find something on the box. I was looking at the controller. Please let me know
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
She said she could not respond on the phone so I want to get back to our original plan without the increase in cost, please..
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
That is way too long. I have been working on this for two hours already and it is now 9 at night. I cannot stay up all night. I could take an appointment in the morning.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
What is the situation now? I think I located the reset button if it is like a hole. I followed Aric's first instructions, but I did not get a green light--only a floating Roku.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hope for better luck tomorrow.
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 26 days ago.

Hi

Another expert here to try to assist. I was hoping to make an appointment with you to talk over the phone. I am on est zone and will be happy to call when you're are available.