Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Trying to connect older (used) Roku. TV has only 2 HDMI

Customer Question

Trying to connect older (used) Roku. TV has only 2 HDMI slots. Initially, Source list acknowledged Roku, but now neither HDMI listing will do so - one reads Cable STB and the other reads HDM!2/DVI. Its not the Roku issue - I connected my laptop via HDMI cable (tried two different cables on all attempts) and source list did not change.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: Model is LN37A550P3FXZA
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: menu works. no other input is set up (we haven't been using this tv and have no cable box for it - we were only going to use the Roku to stream.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Initially the Roku set up seemed to work, but when I clicked on a streaming channel I received an error message, could hear audio, but had no video. I ofollowed online instructions for Roku to alleviate problem - rebooted Roku and TV, reconnected HDMI to both, and that is when the
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Source list changed.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Just to clarify here, are you saying that NO devices will work on the set using HDMI? Also have you tried another HDMI cable?