Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I keep getting the c1300 error msg on my sony dvd

Customer Question

I keep getting the c1300 error msg on my sony dvd recorder...disc is dirty.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Sony dvd recorder RDR-HX710...have had it for a few years,but has been packed away.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It will format a blank dvd but not burn to disc. Only started in the last two days, was able to create one dvd and when i tried again...disc is dirty appeared.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure how to trouble shoot, have cleaned lens, will play other dvds.
Category: Recorders and Players
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hdd seems fine, Dvd will play normal videos. Will format blank dvds but will not dub. Was able to dub one cd, but then get c1300 msg saying disc is dirty. They are brand new blank dvds.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and if cleaning was not corrective, then it would point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly a weakening optical pickup (laser reader).

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If it was a weakening optical pickup (laser reader) would that mean i wouldn't be able to play any other discs?
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Not necessarily. In most instances, the Sony would still be able to play certain discs; original/commercially bought, certain recorded discs such as DVD -R but not +R or the other way around, not much with RWs.

BUT interestingly, can still play almost all CDs.