Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.

I have a Pioneer PD-M502 6-disc CD player that appartently

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Pioneer PD-M502 6-disc CD player that appartently my grandson (2 yrs old) programmed by pushing random it jumps around during a song and also repeats segments. I can't find my remote. How to erase the programming? Thanks
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I bought it around 1987 it's the PD M502. I have the whole 'rack', record player, cassette player
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I think it started around the time my daughterr's family was here last Christmas but it's not used often and I really just noticed my grandson pushing buttons on it last couple of visits. I haven't done any trouble shooting. The instructions are confusing and I don't think it tells me how to erase a timed program
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: where I can get a replacement remote?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 6 days ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Expert:  Pete replied 6 days ago.

There are some buttons to the right side of the display:

Repeat, Random, Time Fade, Auto Fader - press each button to ensure it is turned OFF on the display, then it should work normally again.

Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
While waiting to hear from you, I unplugged the CD player and plugged it back in after a while. Powers on, I can select any of the 6 positions but now it does not play. I tried pushing Repeat, Random, Time Fade, Auto Fader once each to make sure they were de-selected but that does not help. How can I tell if it's under control of a PROGRAM? (Another button next to Stop, Pause, Play, Back, Forward). Should Edit be lit up all the time? What do the little orange-lit arrows under Edit signify? One of them is always brighter than the others.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

Even if under control of a program it should still play, at least partially.

What is showing on the display?

Can you attach a photo of the display?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
not clear how to carry on this conversation without paying more. I'm sorry I can't get a good pic of the display. I've tried unplugging, I've tried pressing Stop while in Stop mode (per the manual), and I've made sure that Random, Fade, etc aren't active.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

You can ignore any automated offers and we can reply back and forth here.

Does it appear to be playing? - can you see it count the time of each song being played?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
no. there's nothing happening when I press the play counting
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

Have you tried unplugging it for a while again?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I've tried unplugging it several times (between yesterday and now - not doing anything quickly)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
it was playing just on the weekend (but skipping all around). I tried unplugging it and after that it stopped playing.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
that's it for $24.00? I'd expected more intimate knowledge of this particular system. And can you answer a previous question: Should Edit be lit up all the time? What do the little orange-lit arrows under Edit signify? One of them is always brighter than the others.
Where to get a remote.....where can I take it to get checked out?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 days ago.

Yes the Edit text will be lit up all the time.

The little orange lights under Edit signify various edit modes - the brightness of the lights does not indicate anything in itself; when an edit function is activated you will see its name beside a light.

The PD-M502 does not have a remote sensor so it cannot be controlled by a remote.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks for recap, my grandson pushed alot of buttons at random while the CD player was on and while it was off. That caused it to skip around and repeat. I read the manual, followed instructions on how to exit a Program, Repeat mode, etc. and this didn't help. Apparently, all features were inactive even though they appeared to be active. I tried unplugging the CD player as well as the RX-760 Receiver (the module where CD, Phono, Cassette, etc are selected) and after doing this, the CD doesn't play at all. The record player and radio work fine. The CD changes to the selected position but when Play is pushed, it doesn't play, no time is counted. Do you have any other suggestions? I work full time and it may be a day before I read your answer. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 3 days ago.

Leaving the CD player unplugged overnight should reset it.

I assume you have checked the volume levels?

Have you tried listening through headphones to see if any audio can be heard through them?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I unplugged it overnight. I verified the volume by switching to radio mode and I played a record. The CD play counter is not registering anything but movement so I don't see why headphones would matter. I don't have any-
It doesn't seem to start reading the CD. Can you recommend an electronics shop at 48124?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 days ago.

Ok, it may have an internal fault with the spindle motor or elsewhere.

In your area, you can contact:

Glen's TV & Electronics Repair Shop,
3925 S Telegraph Rd, Dearborn Heights, MI 48125
Phone:+1(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Pete replied 2 days ago.

Mc Nichols Electric Repair Services
1836 Grindley Park St, Dearborn, MI 48124
Phone:+1(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I removed the casing (carefully) to make sure there is no obstruction of the laser and there isn't...all clean. I'm thinking it's the laser or the Play button itself (not activating). Does this sound reasonable? Can you think of other likely causes?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 days ago.

Check that the motor is spinning normally as well (usually you can hear a disc spinning)

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I will. Honestly, I don't feel that JustAnswer has been helpful. Can I get a refund?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 days ago.

I am a user of this site just like you, and I have nothing to do with the payments.

I'm sorry to hear that I have not been helpful - how can I be of further assistance?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Thank-you, Pete. I have asked Customer Service for a refund.