Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

I'm having an error code U99 on my Panasonic DMR-E85H, I've

Customer Question

I'm having an error code U99 on my Panasonic DMR-E85H, I've tried turning the unit's power bottom on & off repeatedly but to no avail, can you advise me on what to do?
JA: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I bought the unit in 2004, but have turned the unit on for several years due to this error code U99.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This message was displayed when I turned the unit on.....
JA: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is the issue of concern.............
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, specifically it means a faulty hard drive and/or corrupted firmware, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2004 model , that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this system is well over double its service life at this point.

If you've never updated the firmware (an update was released back in 2007) it is possible, but unlikely, that an update could help here.

Beyond that, there is one further step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:

1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs simply aren't feasible. There are no parts available for these units and labor alone would greatly exceed the value of the system. In this case, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new dvr with updated features and a fresh warranty for less than you'd pay to fix this.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, please reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.