Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My ROKU 2 remote was recently damaged due to a battery leak

Customer Question

Hello, my ROKU 2 remote was recently damaged due to a battery leak and is not functioning properly. Is it possible to clean it or is it necessary to purchase another remote? The unit serial number is ***** Thanks for your help. Stephen
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

When the remote has had battery acid corrosion on the terminals (which is what happens when the battery leaks), then the remote needs to be replaced. The acid can conduct between the contacts and short out the internals of the remote. If you wanted to "try" to clean it, then a solution of baking soda and water would need to be used as a neutralizer to clean the battery contacts in the remote and applied with a Q-tip, left to sit for an hour and then brushed off with a small metal brush.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

However if that does not work, or if that's not something you're comfortable with, then the remote would need to be replaced with a brand new one (which is what I would recommend). The Roku 2 remote can be purchased at the link below for just under $10:

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.