Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years in the business and still at it everyday

Toshiba DVR620 combination DVR and VCR. Unit worked fine for

Customer Question

Toshiba DVR620 combination DVR and VCR. Unit worked fine for 2 years. Suddenly will not read any recorded discs, even ones recorded on that exact unit. It loads forever without reading the disc. Tried one blank disc, which it did read and started to record on, but within an hour, the unit made some strange noises and then "backtracked" in terms of the recording, meaning it recorded over part of the program. Not sure if the reader is shot or what.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack , I will be helping you today
Can you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Hello ?

It does look like your laser may have given up the ghost .

Did this get gradually worse in the last few days/weeks util now ?

Will it play commercially made discs/movies ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

I know you can see my replies (it shows on my side when you look ) but perhaps cannot reply so I will give you an answer and trust you will do the right thing by rating me positively after reading it.

You could try one of those dvd cleaner disc but i would not hold my breath on that one , you most likely have a weak laser that cannot focus on the TOC or data on the disc and nowadays you don`t get this repaired , there are no parts any longer like it used to be , with the prices going down all the time you just replace the unit .

Here is an example of such a cleaning disc ;

Again don't put too much hope in this , that is a a last ditch attempt .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not for now then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you