Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

I have a Sharp 5-CD/tape player with the reading "TOC

Customer Question

I have a Sharp 5-CD/tape player with the reading "TOC Reading" and "No Disc." I guess I need to clean a lens but can't readily see how to get to it.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Well I haven't player the CD player for a few months. However, it has never done this before.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: On line. Cleaning the discs. Seeing if any of the 5 slots will 'read.'
JA: The video expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: well, secondarily, I don't have any antenna hooked up for the FM radio in this set, but would like to be able to listen to it.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. TOC error is Table of Contents. It's the inner most part of the disc. That could be caused by a few things. You said you cleaned the discs, so let's rule that out. Your laser is either dusty, or has burned out.

The first thing to try is to get a store bought CD lens cleaner. You can use it in any slot, they all use the same laser. Run the cleaner as per the instructions on the package. If you still get the error, the laser will need to be replaced. Let me know what happens, and we'll weigh cost of the repair vs cost to replace.