Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I cannot get the vcr section of the DVR 620KU to play. The

Customer Question

I cannot get the vcr section of the DVR 620KU to play. The DVDs plays fine.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The problem must be quite frustrating, and you have my sympathies.

Could you please tell me a little more about the problem?:

- does the tape drive make the proper 'takeup' whirr, settling down to a steady faint or almost inaudible noise, when the tape is inserted?

- can you Eject the tape again?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The tape drive does the proper take imp whirr , settling down to a steady faint or almost inaudible noise when the tape is inserted. I can eject the tape.

Then there's nothing wrong with the takeup mechanism, nor the control electronics that 'drives' or directs the tape-playing operation, nor the 'unloading' that happens inside before the tape is ejected.

I suspect, frankly, that the signal read from the VCR section of the device, is not getting to the TV or video device it is supposed to be getting to.

Do you have the DVR hooked up to a TV or video device already? I would think so, but need details on that please. Just, to what port on the TV, and from what port on the DVR, and with what cable, mostly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The DVR is hooked up to the tv in the HDMI3 port with a single cable. The cable on the vcr/DVR is hooked into the HDMI out connection in back of the vcr/DVR.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The cable is an hdmi cable.

That is as it should be, then.

And the DVR is playing, from DVDs, just fine, through that same cable connection. Correct?

If so, then the setting on the DVR may not be selecting the VCR section, or not selecting the HDMI output if it is selecting the VCR section as the actively used section. (At least I hope so - the alternative is probably that the VCR section would be 'broken', and at this point that is still unlikely, or needs some checks of settings to be done first.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Correct. The vcr did work in the past. It seems like the signal is not getting to the tv.

I assume, from the sound of it, that you have been well practiced in the use of this DVR's VCR section, then.

If so... well, one more question please: How long ago has it been since the VCR drive had a cleaning tape run in it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is a brand new machine. Only a couple of months old. Very little use so far.

But you have gotten the VCR section to work before, is that correct?

Then here's another idea: Have you tried a different tape in it? *if* the VCR tape in question is broken internally, no tape will go past the Read head inside, and nothing but blue and static will appear on the screen!

It might be that sort of problem, rather than a breakage of the electronics.

I suggest trying a different tape... and, one that you don't mind losing, preferably, in case the VCR is actually breaking tapes (which can occasionally happen, though with a new device it would be limited to a really old tape perhaps that cannot stand the takeup procedure's stress or such.)

Let me know how it goes, please, and what you think. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tried different tapes. All I get is a blue screen. The tape is running, but just not appearing on the tv screen. The tapes I am using are like brand new and they played perfect in this machine.

I see. Then unfortunately the VCR section seems to have a problem. Cleaning tape usage, if needed, would be appropriate for a somewhat blurred and severely grainy playback, but not an absolutely blue-static screen.

Is the DVR within warranty still? if less than one year old since purchase, repair of the DVR would be covered by warranty I think. Specifically Toshiba's warranty.

If the answer is 'yes' to its being less than a year old, would you like information on making a claim for free, under-warranty, servicing of the DVR?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have an idea of what the problem could be?

Probably a defective amplifier that processes the signal received by the read heads of the VCR portion, I would guess.

Let me know if you need any further information about warranty servicing.