Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Have a bose wave radio with cd and a three cd disc changer.

Customer Question

Have a bose wave radio with cd and a three cd disc changer. The disc player works great on the radio, but the three slots on the cd changer show disc error. I blew the unit out with compressed air and purchased a lens cleaner cd and no improvement. Additionally, the FM reception is horrible, and the AM is not much better. I live in a rural area, but have had no problem with any other am/fm radio reception in the past. I read that someone said you have to play the install cd first, in its entirety, before plugging in the cd changer.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I just bought this unit used, and the seller told me her rarely or never used the unit, and it had been inactive for an extended time. Seller told me that there was a read error with the cd changer. I figured that this should not be a complicated fix, due to my gereat experiences with two other bose wave radios I have had, as well as their other stereo and headphone equipment. I have also provided industrial finishing services for bose suppliers in the past, and found them to be extremely fussy people.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 1. blew out cd changer with compressed air
JA: The video expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: 2. Run a CD disc cleaner with the two tiny brushes on the lens side
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Video Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi there

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,
If cleaning did not help, then the lens or the transport mechanism is likely faulty and would need to be replaced.
In this case you would need to contact BOSE, as they are the only ones who carry parts for and service their systems.
You can contact BOSE at 1-***-***-**** to obtain an RMA# ***** send the unit into them for service.
They will generally offer you a partial trade in towards a refurb model rather than actually repairing.

Or, as an alternative to the factory service you can contact MyBoseRepair (http://www.myboserepair.com/ship_to_us.htm) who will generally be able to do a much quicker and cheaper repair service than BOSE.