Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

SERVICE A TOSIBA STEREO CASSETTE RECODER MODEL NUMBER S723D.

Customer Question

SERVICE A TOSIBA STEREO CASSETTE RECODER MODEL NUMBER S723D. THE CASSETTE PLAYER DOES NOT WORK.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi Martin and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, are you considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? More importantly, would you be comfortable working on the inside circuitry and mechanism?

If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am a retired avionic engineer and have sufficient tools.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The cassette motor does not operate when "play" is selected, but it does engage. Maybe the drive motor is unserviceable?
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Can you please provide a clear / closeup picture of this motor? Click HERE.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. I am not able to take a photo of the cassette recorder and send it to you.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

I understand Martin.

Still, please describe further "...motor does not operate...does engage..."

• ...is there supply voltage to it?
  • ...does it attempt to turn/jerk but unable to fully spin?
  • ...no movement at all;
  • ...does it spin but belt is not?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No movement of the drive spindle when fast fwd or play is selected. The drive spindle do go stiff.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

If voltage is present to the motor wiring, then yes, a likely mechanical issue. Please try soaking/cleaning the drive spindle with WD40 or equivalent.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not opened the unit to monitor whether there is any voltage at the motor or if the drive belts are at fault, silly me. I am a unfamiliar with the unit.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

I understand. In most instances it would be a failed belt something like the part shown HERE.

If it were mechanical/motor, then cleaning with plastic safe / non-staining CRC 2-26, DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent particularly the sleeve bearing of the spindle as well the carbon brushes and commutator segments can also be attempted. Alternatively WD40 may be used also for soaking.

In some other instances, the electronic speed controller may be the culprit.

Or in less often times, a low or missing B+ supply to the motor circuit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try to get access to the internals of the unit and get back to you, I that is ok with you? Will I have to repay you?
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Yes please; would look forward to an update when able.

Sorry but I only receive credit when the customer has provided a Positive Rating and/or an Accept. Doing so now, does not close this question thread and would allow followup posting(s).

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, that's cool. I hope to get back to you pretty soon once I have managed to get access to its guts. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have skype and can send you pictures of the unit if you can send me a skype invitation.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Sorry but direct contacts is treated as Premium Service by the site which involves additional fees.

Alternatively, try dropbox, imgur or even photobucket or the likes.