Carl L
Carl L, Master Technician
Experience:  Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.

After using Apple OSX 10.11.5 disk utility to erase files in

Customer Question

After using Apple OSX 10.11.5 disk utility to erase files in a Walkman NWZ-E436F, it does not restore the root folders like it did with previous versions of the OSX operating system. The erase was necessary because deleting files does not free up memory. After displaying Creating Library the Home Menu does not appear. Pressing the reset button only causes the screen to go blank. The battery icon indicates full charge. What can be done to restore the Home Menu?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  eeewing replied 4 months ago.

Hi Albert! Let's try this:

1. Reset the unit by pressing the RESET button with a small object such as a paper clip.
  2. Disconnect the power source (if applicable) for 30 seconds.
  3. If using AC power, verify that the adapter is securely connected and plugged into a working outlet.
  4. If the unit does not work after the 30 seconds, remove the power source (if applicable) for 30 minutes or turn off the player for 30 minutes.

Please let me know if you have any luck with the above.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No luck with above. Pressing the back button causes the walkman logo to appear for 15 sec followed by Creating Library message for 30 sec then screen goes blank. While the reset is pressed the screen goes blank. The other buttons have no response.
Expert:  eeewing replied 4 months ago.

The Home folders are created by the device -- not by OS X -- so this appears to be a problem with the Walkman itself. I'm not as intimately familiar with that particular device as I feel I need to be in order to further assist, so I am going to open this question up for some of our other Experts to chime in on.

Please bear with us...we'll have someone with you shortly!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been waiting for 10 days.
Expert:  Carl L replied 4 months ago.

Hi Albert, I'm Carl and I will be assisting you where eeewing left off. I have seen this issue before in my repair store and we tried everything! Even formatting the internal memory in the settings does not resolve this which is only performed in extreme situations. I just took a quick look online and it's a well known issue and Sony has no resolution for the problem at this time. Here's a forum full of consumers with the exact same issue as you:

If you need any clarification or additional help, please feel free to ask me.

Expert:  Carl L replied 4 months ago.

I am available if you need any further assistance with this.