Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years in the business and still at it everyday

My sony vcr eats tapes just inserting the cassette into the

Customer Question

my sony vcr eats tapes just inserting the cassette into the unit causes the tape to unravel when i eject it. what might be wrong?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack

Perhaps I can help you with this .

Either with a sony beta or vhs this problem is caused by malfunctioning take up and supply reels .

The symptoms usually are no rewind or fast forward , the unit will stop a short time after you pressed PLAY and unravel the tape or it will also do it even if you don`t press play as it loads the tape around the video heads as soon as you insert it but the malfunctioning reels will not take up the tape back in when it unloads from around the head .

Now depending on the mechanism used as there were quite a few versions , you could simply have a worn or broken belt , some models used gears and idlers so this could be a worn idler wheel or even a defective capstan or reel motor , impossible to know without taking a look .

Unless you really like this vcr , I would look for dvd/vcr combo`s that you can buy for less than $100 on amazon as this would probably would cost you that much to have this one repaired in a shop .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not for now then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you