Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

DVDs that play with subtitles on other players will not play

Customer Question

DVDs that play with subtitles on other players will not play on my Panasonic DMP-BD85P-K
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

- Have you tried to enable subtitles on DVD menu page that pop ups when load the disc in player?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
these dvd disc don't have menu page that pop up.. you must use special features option on player that activate captions.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Have you tired to update bluray player firmware?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HOW DO YOU DO THAT?
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Please click following link to download firmware update instruction manual and click 2nd link to download firmware file to proceed..

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/bluray/installation/dmp-bd45_bd65_bd655_bd85_v176_installation.pdf

http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/DMP-BD85K.html

I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for it and need to follow the instructions mentioned in manual carefully for successful update that will help to fix the subtitle issue.

Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A message says "so sorry that page is unavailable"
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Sorry about that, please click following link and click on Download and Install Instructions to get the instruction manual copy..

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK the instructions only refer to the dmp-bd45 player. Mine is the dmp-bd85 player. Will these instructions work on my model?
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Instructions cover BD45, 65, 655 and 85 models.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
WHY do I have to do any of this? Should not my player be able to play discs with captions?
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Actually manufacturer release firmware update from time to time to improve the player performance while the new software are being made for discs. Your player is bit old model and latest bluray player would have equipped all the latest video technology features that match with the disc titles, firmware update for an old player will get it close to latest features and this update done automatically in new players as they connect to internet to get different video streaming sites calls smart player.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After you burn the CD, what do you do with it?
Also how do you get new firmware?
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

New firmware files is also available on same page, see at left side of the link that you download the instruction file for link 'Download' to get the firmware file. It needs to put the burned CD in player to start updating, details are mentioned on page 8 of instruction manual.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Suppose I have installed the new firmware and then want to play a disc where the pop-ups only have 2 options: PLAY, SCENE. How do I get to the "with captions" function?
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

If the disc plays on other players fine for surtitles then it should playback in this player as well with subtitles after firmware update. If problem still persist then I'm afraid it would be bluray player internal limitation and a new player will be helpful to resolve the issue. Firmware update is an attempt towards fixing the issue and I'm not 100% sure if it will work or not.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but you have to turn on the captions options on these DVDs. I know how to on my other players. How do I do this on the DMP-BD85 player?
I must have an answer to this question!
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Are you playing DVD or BD disc in player?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is a DVD and I have several of these.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, press Display button on player remote while playing a DVD disc, do you see Subtitle option?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have done this but I cannot seem to change the subtitle option from off to on with these disc.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

This is odd, can you select the subtitle option and what happens if use navigation buttons on remote to make any change?

Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Also, press stop to stop playback then try again to enable subtitle option.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me try this one more time. It will take about 5 minutes. Is this OK?
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Sure, take your time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, I'm back. I followed line by line in the manual but could not change the subtitle setting from OFF to ON.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Sorry to hear that, I'm out of ideas what is causing the problem so let me repost the question for other experts to have a look, hopefully some one will soon respond to assist you further. I'm opting out to repost the question. Please do not rate my answer and leave it as it is.

Thanks.