electronicsguy, Engineer
Experience:  Worked on these instruments for over 15 years.

Rod, I have a Crossley "Vintage" player including radio, CD

Customer Question

Hi Rod, I have a Crossley "Vintage" player including radio, CD etc. When I play my 33 oldies, the speed is too slow at the beginning of the record. Very slow. Sounds awful. But in the middle and the end of the record, it sounds ok. 78's sound ok as well. What is wrong and can I fix it myself. The only part I don't understand is a round plastic screw like piece at the left of the arm which turns. What is that and could that be the problem? I tried turning it and it didn't seem to make a difference. My turntable looks like the one in the diagram to the left of the chat window. Thanks for any help with this. All the best, Eleanor
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  electronicsguy replied 4 months ago.

Hi welcome to just answer.

From my experience, the speed of the player is controlled by motor and the weight of the stylus arm. From your description, it looks like the arm weight needs adjustments as it is pushing the record down too hard. The screw you described is the one that needs adjustments. Start at the center and reduce weight slowly until you feel that the weight is about to be off the track. Please use a damaged record to perform this as it can ruin good records.

Let me know the results