Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

Player won't come on even when plugged in. Do I need to

Customer Question

player won't come on even when plugged in. Do I need to replace the battery in the back?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Are you using AC or DC (car) power? Have you tested another adapter yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Using an A C adapter
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you have another that you can test, please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a car adapter
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Okay, please go test that and see if it will come on when plugged into the car adapter.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it still will not come on.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for checking.That is not a battery issue.The unit would work on passthrough power even without a battery.So unless you happen to have 2 bad power adapters, which is unlikely, this points to an internal hardware fault. Sadly, this type of problem is very common with Coby devices, which are extremely low quality and have very short service lives. It doesn't take much to damage them, and they frequently fail all on their own. Coby products were such poor quality that they actually went bankrupt about 4 years ago - there is no support for their products in any form, and parts are difficult to come by. For a 2010 model product, this unit has already lasted far longer than it would be expected to, and is simply not worth fixing. It would cost you $200+ to have it repaired, while you could buy a brand new unit for about $60: http://amzn.to/25a7u4aEven if it was just the battery even that would not be worth fixing, as that cost would still be comparable to a new unit. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?