Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

AFTER APPROXIMATELY 4HRS SCREEN WILL TURN BLACK BUT STLL HAVE

Customer Question

AFTER APPROXIMATELY 4HRS SCREEN WILL TURN BLACK BUT STLL HAVE VOICE M#LED55C5R120Q
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Robert. Can you tell me if this happens on all sources/inputs?Can you bring up the rca menu still at that point after it goes black?Lastly, if you hold a flashlight to the screen, can you make out an image/shadow that way?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
IHAVE NOT TRIED ANY OF THE QUESTIONS
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
I am asking you to please test/check these items, and report back to me with the results.For me to give you a specific and detailed answer, I need that detail, please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
NO TO ALL THREE QUESTIONS
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for confirming.Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for this brand. These rca tvs are some of the lowest quality sets on the market, and has already lasted longer than we would expect it to at this point. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. This is assuming parts can even be found, which is difficult as these sets are so poorly supported by the manufacturer. For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable and long lasting brand, in the $600 range. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Please review my reply above, and you can respond to me here if you have more questions. Your other question was closed as a duplicate so as not to cost you more for another question.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?If so, simply reply back on this page.Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.Nathan