Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.

I have a 1953 Seeburg C juke box that is not working. Will

Customer Question

I have a 1953 Seeburg C juke box that is not working. Will not move back and forth to pick out selected record to insert to play. It worked fine until I moved it to Texas and then back to Pittsburgh. The cord that is on the bottom from the head that makes it slide back and forth looks a bit frayed and I was told this could be the problem.
I want to get this fixed. What can I do?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jim,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Are you looking for another technician to come out and replace the cable for you?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know if that is the problem. I can replace the cable but I don't know if that will solve the problem
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the common solution for this problem?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Might be a relay in the head. All the tubes are ok
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Normally it is a mechanical problem - either some part of the selection mechanism has got moved and needs to be adjusted, or it needs some fresh grease to help keep it moving smoothly. It's also possible that a sensor has gotten misaligned during the move.If a relay is suspect then a replacement one can be swapped in.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there a checklist that I can go through as a means of elimating problems to reduce it to one or two things
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am still waiting for guidance or help. So far there is nothing of any help to solve the problem. I am waiting for some information or guidelines that I can try to fix the problem.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So, if I provide a poor rating, you have to understand that I have received no help. Should I submit this rating? Are you done?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, I am waiting. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Are you familiar with electronic testing and reading schematics?If you can find the part number of the selector on your particular model, you can get the schematics from the following website to help troubleshoot the cause of the problem:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have the manuals from Seeburg. I can read schematics, but what I was looking for was a common thread for this problem that I could go to directly as a good start. One from a guy that was here indicated it "might" be the cable. Then he referred to a capacitor (I think)that might need to be replaced. He was not really sure. He wanted to take the jukebox back to his shop. That is just too much. These are very heavy plus freight plus all his work. He told me that it could be $1000 and that is even more crazy. Especially if I can get a good idea of where to look for the problem, I am happy to try a few different things. Again, I was hoping you might know something from these machines that was a common problem that I could go to. Doesn't seem to be the case.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Ok, let me check if another technician can assist you further with this...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.