Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have an old Realistic turntable from the 70s and when the

Customer Question

I have an old Realistic turntable from the 70s and when the tonearm auto-returns at the end of a record, the needle drags across the middle of the record. I tried adjusting the weight so it's very light and doesn't drag anymore, but the sound is terrible now. Help?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi Adrianna
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I don't see an answer posted?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for replying back to me. You were offline when I responded yesterday.The counter-weight will need to be adjusted so that the needle is just balancing on the record, and lifts clear off the record when returning.This is a very delicate process, and may take several attempts to get it exactly right.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have already tried this, in order to make it not scrape, the weight has to be so feather light the sound is terrible.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I stated this in my original question. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
As I said, it is a very delicate process, and may take several attempts.Another possibility is that the grease has hardened, causing the mechanism to become stiff - if it has not been serviced recently and this is the case then you will need to remove the old hardened grease and replace it with soft fresh grease.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi, just checking in on your question. How did things work out for you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, I guess I was hoping if the only option is to open the mechanism, remove the old grease and replace it, that you would let me know how to do that - otherwise, it's not much good to me. If your only suggestion is that I take it somewhere to get it serviced, I didn't need to ask an expert. I was looking for suggestions I could do myself.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
To open it up you will need to remove all of the screws. Once you have it open, you will see the grease on the mechanism - check first to see if it is hard or soft.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just got the chance to have a look at it. I do not have the tools nor the expertise to do what you are suggesting. Can you tell me how to calibrate the counter weight where it should ideally be? Then I can try to adjust from there. I think its very off the mark right now.