Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

Panasonic DMR EH55 plays DVDs will not record. Says DVDs are

Customer Question

Panasonic DMR EH55 plays DVDs will not record. Says DVDs are bad. Same DVD record in another DMR EH55 OK.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Allen. This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens). If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly. If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad write laser, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thoroughly cleaned the laser. (I am a technician.) Still didn't help. Says disk is non-recordable.Next trial may be to swap drives with the good machine. These drives are no longer made.Allen
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Hi Allen,the most likely issue here is that the write laser diode is burned out, which is common and just part of normal wear and tear on these units.Drive swap is possible, and you can sometimes find a drive assembly on ebay.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This drive came from ebay, and I have another coming. Forget finding the drives, I have tried. By the way, the drive electronics are part of the machine. There are 5 ! cables from the drive to the driver board. That also serves the HDD.As I said, DVDs play perfectly. Thus the laser is not bad. I am suspecting a software (firmware) problem in reading the disk before recording (copying.)Allen
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Well the unit still tries to initialize/format the new disc for record operations, which is why I suspect the write laser, because I've seen it fail so often on these.If is possible it is firmware related though, I'm assuming you've done attempted to update previously.